Welcome to our website !

AERIANE COHEN

interior design/ artist

Story behind Ketubah

By 3:23:00 PM




The story behind Ketubah.

Ketubah - is the beautiful and mystique word, it is Jewel of Judaism tradition, and it hides so many exciting moments and insights.
«It is considered an integral part of a traditional Jewish marriage, and outlines the rights and responsibilities of the groom, in relation to the bride.» Wikipedia.
Sounds good, no?

The first time I have heard about this was two months before my wedding. I am half Jewish( my mother and my grandmother was jewish) and my husband is also jewish by his mother. That's mean that there was no such a big tradition follow in our families. For example, I 've learned that I am jewish right after my one year intense interest in Judaism and Kabbalah so my grandmother had decided explain to me and to other family members why I have such a desire to learn more about it. And in center that I used to attend at that moment my friend asked me when I told her that we are getting married: «Are you going to buy Ketubah?» Well, my blood had burned right away and with round eyes I have asked her «What is that? Where I can find it? Why I have never heard about it?» And that is very typical for me, when I have such an interest in the beginning, that is going to be long love!

And so if you already my reader, you alreafy know that I am interior designer with huge and neverending love to art. The last couple of years I was concentrating more on creating art. And from the very beginning I felt in love in the idea that I can create Ketubah for my own wedding by myself. And even though me and my husband were thinking in the beginning to buy something ready( as we were running out of time), me personally did not like any design that I have found on the internet. And that is how the idea was born to create it by myself. And as a creative person, I got the idea very easily and quickly, I made my research about how-to make it, what kind of tools to use and in one week our Ketubah was ready.

I enjoyed the process so much that I decided to create another one and then another one. And so my husband suggested me to sell it. And that is how I built my shop on Etsy.com and from that moment I am taking one order in 1-2 months as I papercut it by hand. One of the most important thing for me is to create it with good vibrations and to put there as much Love as I can. Therefore I created my own ritual of creating it, with a particular prayer before and after my work and listening special music.

I know that Ketubah mostly is using for traditional Jewish weddings. But here I am, half Jew, having not traditional or even half traditional marriage. And yet I believe that is wonderful when Husband is giving to his Bride a beautiful document. Document where he promises whatever he wants to guarantee and give his word to take responsibility for his their future. And in my opinion this moment is so important, this moment makes their union much stronger, much more conscious and unique. So I think as soon as Hamsa( jewish symbol) became world famous sign to banish negativity, why not every brooms would make this present to their brides on the weddings as well?

Ok, so My Mission is to spread it to the world! That's what I am doing!


PS On the photo one of my Ketubah. Go to ETSY.COM and contact me in case of purchasing your future customizable Ketubah.

You Might Also Like

24 comments

  1. A brilliant post. This is the first time I'm visiting your blog (I think!) and am enjoying this read. I love to find out about traditions and cultures. I've been to Israel a few time and have attended Shabbat dinner, so am familiar with some customs, but a lot I don't know yet! Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of a Ketubah before your post. It's a beautiful tradition for a Jewish man to do for his new bride. I absolutely love traditions and I'm so glad you are sharing them. As you said, it makes it more special! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very interesting story. My husbands father was raised Jewish but converted to catholicism when he wanted to marry his wife. So my husband was raised as a catholic. But our youngest daughter has a strong interest in Judaism and tries (she is only 11) to conform to all that she knows of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not religious at all, and what little of me that once was, wasn't Jewish. I'm sure this is a very interesting read for a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I am not Jewish, but i would be happy if my future Husband will present me something like that!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I am not Jewish, but i would be happy if my future Husband will present me something like that!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never heard of a Ketubah before your post. These sound like a great tradition for weddings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All religions have so many great things and traditions, this is a clear example! Very informative and beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the etsy store! I'm so glad your husband encouraged you to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading the origin of how people started with their hobbies or interests. I think you do such a great job! A supportive family is always important.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never heard of this before, was a very interesting read. I love to hear about other cultures and travel around myself so loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this is an interesting culture. I see how many people succeed because of the support they are getting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds really unfamiliar to me. But I find it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard about the ketubah this is my first time to heard about this and I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep making and doing what you love. You are going to make many brides very happy! Your Ketubah pieces are very beautiful on Etsy! I can't stop looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such an interesting religion. I find the words used are intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great! I love reading about new thing to do with religion and customs! I love your Ketubah pieces! They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never heard of Ketubah, but I'm also not Jewish so that makes sense. It sounds like a great tradition. Also, congrats on your Etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's always nice to hear about a spouse supporting his wife. :) As for the Jewish traditions, my BIL married a Jewish gal and she's been teaching him. He's Baptist, lol, so they both have a lot of learning to do. ;) It's wonderful how they support each other too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ketubah is something I had never heard of before. What an informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is beautiful. I had no idea about this until now. I check out your Etsy page and was able to see the Ketubah bigger and I'm just so impressed by all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ketubah was really fascinating to read about, thank you for sharing your experience and teaching me something new about judaism.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is my first time to heard about their culture and it sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete